Ossenworst (Ox sausage)
Ossenworst is a smoked raw beef sausage that is said to arise in Amsterdam. It is broadly accessible in the Netherlands, but while you can acquisition automated versions in Dutch supermarkets, these buck little affinity to the absolute affair as they are generally neither smoked nor aged. This Amsterdam specialty has its origins in the seventeenth century, back oxen were alien all-embracing from Denmark and Germany.
|Beef||1000 g||2.2 lb|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|Salt||25 g||4 tsp|
|Cure #2||2.5 g||1 tsp|
|Sugar||5.0 g||1 tsp|
|Pepper||3.0 g||1-1/2 tsp|
|Nutmeg||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Mace||0.5 g||1/4 tsp|
|Cloves, ground||0.3 g||1/8 tsp|
- Cut beef into 2” (5 cm) cubes. Mix with salt, cure #2, amoroso and backpack deeply in a container, accoutrement the meat with a apple-pie bolt to anticipate birthmark of the top band of the meat. Authority in a refrigerator for 10 days.
- Grind the meat through 3/8” (8 mm) plate.
- Mix the arena meat with all ingredients.
- Stuff into beef middles. Authority in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Apply a attenuate algid smoke at 18º C (64º F) for 1 day. Oakwood or beech copse is used.
Ossenworst is a about raw sausage and it charge be captivated aural a few days. Like steak tartare, it is bendable and breakable and goes able-bodied with beer, bread, alacrity and pickled gherkin or fair onion.