American Country Ham
Only the afterwards legs of hogs can be alleged a country ham. They may not be injected with abating solutions nor placed in abating solution.
|ham, bone-in||8 kg||17.6 lb.|
Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
|salt||54 g||3 Tbsp.|
|Cure #2||10.0 g||2 tsp.|
|sugar||20.0 g||4 tsp.|
|pepper||6.0 g||3 tsp.|
- Mix salt, Cure #2 and amoroso together. Bisect into three according parts. Rub ham on all abandon with ⅓ of the mixture. Abode ham in refrigerator. Accumulate it covered with artificial blanket or a bolt to anticipate drying. A acceptable abstraction is to accumulate it in a zip- loc bag. This prevents the ham from drying. The ham should be kept at about 90% humidity, but the clamminess in a refrigerator is alone about 40%.
- After 3 days, rub the ham with addition ⅓ admixture and abode in a refrigerator.
- After 10 canicule abolish the ham from the refrigerator and administer the aftermost ⅓ of the mixture. Abode ham aback in refrigerator.
- After 40 canicule (total salting time) abolish the ham from the refrigerator and briefly bathe with tap water. Besom off any alkali from the surface.
- Coat the apparent of the ham with pepper and being the ham into the netting.
- Keep for 14 canicule at 40-42° F (4-6° C), 75% humidity.
- Apply algid smoke (77° F, 25° C) for 24 hours.
- Ripe (dry and mature) hams for 60 canicule at 77-86° F, 25-30° C), 65% humidity.
The capacity are listed for 1 kg of meat. If the ham weighs 8 kg, accumulate the weight by 8. For archetype it will charge 54 x 8 = 432 g of salt.
Total processing time: 115 days.
Time can alter from 3-5 months. The absolute time will depend on the admeasurement of the ham and processing temperatures.