Sheepshead (Archosargus probatocephalus)
Protein-20.21%, Fat-2.41%, Water-77.97%
The sheepshead, additionally accepted as captive fish, is a basal agriculture bedrock angle that alcove 10 to 20 inches with boilerplate weight 3 - 4 pounds. It has aciculate after spines and 5 to 6 aphotic confined on the ancillary of the anatomy over a gray background. Sheepshead has several rows of able teeth, which advice drove the shells of oysters, clams, and added bivalves, and barnacles, fiddler crabs, and added crustaceans. Sheepshead like balmy waters, they can be begin from the Mid-Atlantic to Texas. They are adorable to eat.
- Wash the angle and abolish the scales. Apple-pie and gut the fish, abolish the gills.
- Brine for 15 account in 80º brine. (Add 2.2 lbs of alkali to 1 gallon of water. This makes 80 degrees brine). Ablution and drain.
- Dry the angle for 60 account at 100° F (38° C). A ablaze smoke allowed.
- Increase the temperature to 212° F (100° C) and smoke with average close smoke for 1 hour.
- Smoke for added hour gradually bottomward the temperature to 176° F (80° C).
Smoked Sheepshead Fillet
- Fillet the fish.
- Brine the 1/2”fillets for 5 account in 80º brine. Ablution and drain.
- Dry fillets for 60 account in a smokehouse preheated to 100° F (38° C). A ablaze smoke allowed.
- Smoke for 60 account at 185° F (85 C).